Design for DLS
Follow these principles for the best results from using DLS™ in your applications.
Product Design, Perfected
Digital manufacturing sends modern design soaring , handing designers the broadest spectrum of geometries that can be produced at scale and offering more time and information for every iteration.
- Design FreedomFocus on the best shape for your product rather than technological constraints.
- More, Richer IterationsExplore concepts knowing your printed prototypes are identical to the production part.
Identify potential applications of Carbon, then prove technical feasibility with minimal resources.Review case studies and compare to existing product lines. Look for high BOM components and assemblies, where product teams had to make concessions to accommodate injection molding. Capture the environmental requirements and compare to Carbon material properties to find a great match.
Create an early proof-of-concept and confirms designs for DLS™ can achieve basic product requirements.Alpha is the time to experiment most with the design. Test the form and function. Explore many designs in parallel or iterate with the confidence that what you are testing is identical to the final part.
In Beta, the design is finalized, confirming functional and commercial viability.This is the time to select a design and put on finishing touches. Run complete mechanical testing. Develop a build plan to understand the BOM and expected manufacturing process.
Find the perfect form for your application, not the one that fits the mold.
- Undercuts and Undrafted WallsMoldability principles don't apply here. Design with undercuts and perfectly straight walls without sacrificing manufacturability.
- Topology OptimizedUse advanced computer software to find the perfect shape.
- LatticesDetermine your product’s ideal mechanical response and work with Carbon to build the right lattice for it.
Vitamix designed one DLS™-printed part to replace a six-component assembly, requiring 55% less manual labor, costing 33% less, and ultimately proving 10x more durable than the assembly.